Emory University Psychoanalytic Institute Application Instructions
We are now accepting applications for the Fall 2020 class! The application deadline is May 1, 2020.
EUPI accepts new groups of candidates every other year. The next new class will begin in August, 2020. Prerequisites and expectations in each program are listed below.
For questions about the application, or more information about our programs, please contact:
- Stefanie Speanburg, PhD, LCSW 404.556.2878 or Stefanie.email@example.com
- Dr. Steven Levy 404.727.0397 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed applications include online submission of the application, a Curriculum Vitae, and a check for $25.00 payable to the Emory University Psychoanalytic Institute. Please submit to:
Emory University Psychoanalytic Institute
Tufts House, Suite 302
Atlanta, GA 30322
This application is for all applicants to the Institute:
- Core Program: You would like to begin by enrolling in the core curriculum
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program: You would like to enroll in the core curriculum and begin the track to conduct therapy cases supervised by the Emory Institute faculty
- Clinical Psychoanalytic Program: You would like to enroll in the core curriculum and begin the track to conduct psychoanalytic cases supervised by Emory Institute faculty
Applicants to the Core Program:
Applicants to the two-year Core Curriculum program have a serious interest in the study of psychoanalysis and hold a doctoral degree or other professional degree or are enrolled in such a program. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis. Each applicant will be interviewed by two faculty members. The interviews will focus on matters of scholarly interest, achievement, motivation for study, and capacity to participate fully in classroom work.
Letters of reference: Please see below. Letters similar to those for Clinical Psychoanalytic Program are desirable.
Applicants to the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program (PPP):
Applicants to the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program must be licensed or license-eligible in a clinical discipline (social work, psychology, psychiatry, counseling, and others). Each applicant will be interviewed by two faculty members. In addition to the interest in psychoanalytic psychotherapy, scholarly achievement, motivation for study, and capacity to participate fully in classroom work, the interviews include an assessment of suitability for this level of clinical work. An experience in psychoanalytic psychotherapy is an expectation for candidates in this program.
Letters of reference: Please see below. Letters similar to those for the Clinical Psychoanalytic Program are desirable.
Applicants to the Clinical Psychoanalytic Program:
Applicants to the Adult Psychoanalytic Training Program must be one of the following:
- Licensed physicians in a psychiatric residency or graduated from psychiatric residency.
- Licensed clinical psychologists with a PhD or PsyD degree.
- Mental health professionals who have graduated from an accredited mental health degree program with a master’s degree. This degree should be recognized as the highest degree within the specific profession.
- Physicians with specialties outside of mental health; or mental health clinicians who do not meet the criteria for post-graduate study, as approved by the EUPI selection committee.
- Scientists, academics, scholars, administrator and others whom psychoanalysis is a relevant discipline.
Each of these applicants will be interviewed by three faculty members. In addition to interest in psychoanalytic treatment, scholarly achievement, motivation for study, and capacity to participate fully in classroom work, the interviews include an assessment of suitability for this level of clinical work. The interviews will also explore the applicant’s life history in some depth, including one’s emotional life and attachments.
Letters of Reference:
- The applicant is responsible for initiating three letters of reference. List these references on your application for our information. The name of the person you list first should be in a position to give an overall evaluation of your work in that institution from access to composite records. Examples include:
- The Dean of the Medical School; Chair of the Department or Director of Graduate Studies where your graduate degree was or is being obtained.
- The Director of Internships.
- The Director of Residency or of Post-doctoral Fellowships.
Choose two additional individuals who know you personally and know your work well. If you are applying for the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program or the Clinical Psychoanalytic Program, at least one of these letters should be written by someone familiar with your recent clinical work.
- We will never ask you for a release to contact your personal psychoanalyst or psychotherapist for any reason. However, during your interviews, we do routinely ask you to tell us about your experience(s) in treatment.
- Letters can be emailed (Ayanna.webb@
emoryhealthcare.com) as scanned pdf’s on letterhead (preferred method of delivery), or can be snail mailed to:
Tuition Rates 2019-2020:
|PROGRAM||2019-2020 Tuition Rates|
|Core: didactic only years 1-2||$3000/year|
|Academic: didactic only years 3-4||$3000/year|
|PPP: classroom years||$4000/year|
|PPP: post-classroom years||$2700/year|
|Adult Psychoanalytic Training: classroom years||$4700/year|
|Adult Psychoanalytic Training: post-classroom years||$2700/year|